Now that you’ve settled in Mumbai and wish to commute all by yourself by car, it’s time to learn the illegal parking fines that the government imposes on the citizens. The BMC or Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation has recently introduced the formula-centric penalty for any unauthorised parking that will be equivalent to 40 times the charges of the existing parking.
According to the recent rules, the BMC or Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation has recently launched the new vehicle parking rules in the city. The new rule has been launched after noting down the illegal parking within no-parking areas and the obstructions to emergency automobiles such as ambulances and fire brigade.
If any vehicles are seen parked in no-parking areas, the owner will have to pay between ₹ 5000 and ₹ 15,000, depending on the scenario. In the initial stage of implementation, a civic body already identified twenty-three public vehicle parking lots around the city. Vehicles that are seen parked in a total of five hundred meters of the PPL shall be fined a penalty.
This rule has got introduced as a majority of people park the vehicles on the road instead of using the parking lots that are already available in the city. The cars and other automobiles will get towed away. There also will be a late fee levied in case the car owner doesn’t pay his or her share of the penalty.
In the year 2019, new parking rules got introduced alongside levying steep fines for the unauthorised parking within a total of 500 m of the BEST depots (for the bus) or designated public vehicle parking lots. The penalty ranged in between ₹ 5,000 and ₹ 23,250.
Nonetheless, the move came under fire from citizens and public representatives. Also, the MPA or Mumbai Parking Authority described it as exorbitant and arbitrary. Thus, after a review done by the civic body, the decision was made.
Under GautamChatterjee, the retired IAS officer, the MPA underwent an inclusive review of parking charges. That’s how they brought forth the new formula-centric fines. These fines for the four-wheelers have been reduced and made ₹ 4,000. On the other hand, for the two-wheelers, the fine got ₹ 1,800. For buses and heavy vehicles, the fine turned out to be ₹ 7,000 and ₹ 10,000 r4espectivly.
The rule also highlights that any four-wheeler owner will require paying a total of ₹ 4000 fine for unlawful illegal parking, since parking fees for around 12 hours of parking has now become ₹ 100 only. Simultaneously, the penalty for unauthorised parking gets calculated considering other kinds of vehicles that will be inclusive of the total towing fees.
For the four-wheeler cars, the earlier fine for illegal or unlawful parking happened to be ₹ 10,000 and included a late charge of ₹ 170 for every single day. That’s when the owners fail to retrieve their vehicle.
- Parking your car on a footpath: A fine of ₹ 200
- Parking your vehicle near or on a bend: A fine of ₹ 200
- Parking your car on the bridge: A fine of ₹ 200
- Parking your vehicle on the road crossing: A fine of ₹ 200
- Parking your vehicle near the No Parking Board: A fine of ₹ 200
- Parking your car near the gate: A fine of ₹ 200
- Parking your car opposite the MV: A fine of ₹ 200
- Parking your vehicle near a pedestrian crossing or signal: A fine of ₹ 200
- Parking your car on the road’s wrong side: A fine of ₹ 200
- Three or two-wheeler without any parking light: A fine of ₹ 200
- If the vehicle (not the two or the three-wheeler) does not have the parking lights, it will be charged 200 fine
So, this compiles everything to learn about the illegal parking fines in Mumbai. If you have recently decided to become a citizen in Mumbai and want to travel the city by your car, it is imperative to get an understanding of these parking fines. To prevent yourself from getting charged with illegal parking fines in Mumbai, please ensure that you follow strict guidelines from the above pointers.
- Mumbai is a bustling city where most people choose to commute by themself
- It is imperative to learn the quintessential parking rules
- Avoid getting charged with illegal vehicle parking in Mumbai